50 Shades of Green – An Alpine awakening (Pain and pleasure in Chamonix)

As the summer rolls around I'm losing the will for long cold days in the snow. Instead, I'm getting excited for warm rock and cold rivers ! Hopefully this account from last summer will inspire the same feeling and maybe give you a laugh. 
If you’re not prepared for graphic details of blood and bodily functions, stop reading before the Grand Capucin section.

What follows is an admittedly not so brief account of a series of misadventures in Chamonix: The centre of hedonistic, ego driven, self-fulfilling, fun loving, awe-inspiring Alpinism.

My hope is that this account will differ from the plethora of other Chamonix trips in that I am going to be painfully explicit with the stupid mistakes and details included. This isn’t an informative account you might find in a destination guide, more an attempt to show that although dangerous and demanding, alpinism and climbing in general shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

George gasped as the boiling liquid hit his thighs, the violently overflowing jetboil still grasped tightly in his hands, a tirade of expletives pouring forth. We’ve all been there, long overnight drives to make the most of short trips, jetboil precariously perched on laps, danger Nalgene pees while driving. Like many alpine endeavours, coffee in the front seat of a moving van is risky but often pays off big.

This was to be the first of many risky and pain filled attempts we made this summer.

Our post lockdown escape plan had worked so far. Getting the ferry directly from Rosslare to Cherbourg was a slower option but allowed us to avoid any admin problems going through England into France.

A 16 hour ferry crossing and 12 hour drive later, we arrive at 4am. As is standard for these trips we tried to grab some sleep before heading straight out into the sun to get after our big objectives!  As any climber will tell you the psych of the start of a trip often outweighs your organisational skills. Two days later we finally managed to leave the valley for our first punishing visits to the mountains.

To set the scene, I had very minimal alpine experience prior to the summer 2020. One winter season doing lots of drinking and a little climbing did not prepare me to return to the high mountains in summer. All I know about the Alps at this point was:

  •  Fast and light
  •  Hydrate or die
  • Get committed

We tried to live by the idea that as long as we follow at least 1 of the rules then success has been achieved. Inevitably we always landed on getting committed.

I’ve come to think of Alpine climbing as a Sadomasochistic relationship. There is a lot of pain but often accompanied by heightened pleasure and you will always go back for more. The more intense the pain the more fully you can appreciate the pleasure of post and the more you want to push for more each.

What follows where routes climbed between July 7th  and August 7th 2020:

The American Direct (Les Drus)

Petit Dru

I collapsed onto the path above the ladders in a state of exhaustion, I knew we’d gone too far. Neither of us wanted to be the one to say it but we should have stopped long ago. We’d pushed ourselves to the point of ataxia; Simon and Garfunkel’s soothing tones could carry us no further.

A bit like erotic-asphyxiation, you should have stopped when you first felt the darkness coming but like a pushing it in the mountains, you don’t know you’ve gone too far until someone is unconscious.

Having climbed for roughly 16 hours and battled past an 11 strong Spanish junk show, we arrived at the bottom of the South face of the Dru. The walk back to Chamonix was totally achievable, it’s only 8.30pm we’ll be back by midnight! At roughly 2am George suggested we stop for a minute at the top of the ladders to the Mer de Glace, I was asleep within seconds.  


Bivi above the clouds


We had made some errors in navigation leading us to the precipice above the glacier with no way down and had to re-ascend 800m back to find the path towards the Charpoua hut that eventually leads back to the Mer de Glace ladders. Thankfully the pain in my legs come the morning was nothing compared to the fear I had about descending the steep ladders burdened with a big bag the night before while suffering severe dehydration and exhaustion and loss of coordination.

The satisfaction of sitting on the Montenvers (having explained to the staff that I did indeed own a season pass, I just couldn’t locate it in the depths of my bag) was surreal as the intoxicating mix of sleep deprivation and elation coursed through me. We had done it!

Our first great North face of the Alps much like misguided first forays into BDSM had been exhausting, awkward and bizarre. Involving scary flexy aid bolts, violent uncontrolled excretion (poor woman on the ledge beside me, needed a priest and a bath) and several wild speed abseils while trying to pass competitive crampon clad young climbers in a gully with an abundance of flying debris. As we came to know; this is all par for the course in alpinism.

Learning points: 

-Be bothered to melt more snow, cramps in your forearms mean you are really dehydrated and leads to bad decisions ! 

-Don't keep walking into the night if you're already exhausted and don't have a clear idea of where you're going

 

Central Pillar of Freney


After a few days off to let the pain fade in our memories we had convinced ourselves we were ready for more. We heard the Central Pillar of Freney (a route with a bit of a reputation owning to its rather grim history) had been done and the glacier was in acceptable condition. We stepped out of the car at 5am in Freney after spending the drive hammering Killian for beta and stealing his aid ladder (7a at 4000m was beyond our ability).

Five relatively uneventful hours later we arrived at the Eccles hut to find several climbers lounging outside smiling smugly at the idea that we had been optimistic enough to hope for a space in the hut at 10am. Shortly after arriving we decided that we would happily move away from the smugness and abundance of faecal matter that surrounds the huts.

As we death roped through slushy ice and snow across the Glacier du Freney tensing every time the enormous blocks sheared off below us at the ice-fall, I had to consider our predicament fairly daft albeit self-inflicted.

We were both incredibly pleased to reach the base of the route soaked to the skin but without being impaled by falling rock or following a serac off the end of the glacier.
four hours of relatively straightforward climbing later we reached the bottom of the Chandelle tower around dusk, passing a “possible bivi” to seek out a more enticing ledge to sit and shiver on for the night. 

Stuffing in calories on our ledge

The jaw dropping beauty of the sun setting over the perpetual rise and fall of the peaks stretching into the distance was not enough to sustain me as I lay awake in the darkness shivering and trying to wrap the single sleeping bag closer around me. Spooning for warmth, George’s leg between mine, both of us acutely aware of the other persons discomfort at the proximity: these are the moments in Alpinism I hadn’t read about. 
The morning cold prompted us to move so three hard pitches puffing, aiding and sweating and we found ourselves at the top. As we legged it (read slogged) up and over Mt. Blanc, not stopping on the summit the guided parties stopped taking photos to watch us race straight back down the other side. The rapid descent paid off as we started from the summit 2pm and we managed to scramble, bedraggled into the midi at 5:55pm in time for the last lift. However, my darts didn't have anti-balling plates so I had to run/hop every other steep for 4 hours to try and keep from slipping and not stopping to I landed in Chamonix ! 

Learning points: 

-Don't cross glaciers in the middle of the day, luck won't always keep you safe !
-Anti-balling plates are vital if you're not just climbing steep mixed. 


The Walker Spur

Licking water off lichen covered rocks was something I assumed was reserved for hardcore adventurers lost in the wilderness. Turns out all it takes for this to be necessary is a bit of confusion regarding who packed a stove.

Aside from the water debacle, the Walker Spur was relatively uneventful in terms of grand courses. A bit of rockfall and some scary melty chossyness on the red chimneys was to be expected! I was later informed that George had nearly died abseiling off the end of the ropes however, this relatively pain free experience was to be the calm before the bloody storm.

George crossing wet slabs
Learning points:
-Double and triple check kit before you leave, suffering purely for lack of communication is an unacceptable error. 
-A leader and second bag is a good idea, both climbing with heavy bags makes easy pitches feel nails ! 
-If you're not going to knot the end of your rope, be really fucking carefull! 


Grand Capucin – Voyage Du Gulliver

I don’t climb 7b in the mountains, George does. His steady head inspires my confidence, if I can’t get up it George definitely can.                                                                                                    Half way up the Capucin, the climbing had gone surprisingly well until now, George leading the hard pitches and I struggled up the rest. However, I realised I had gone the wrong way; above me I could see tat which would be ideal to lower off and go again. 3 in-situ pieces with some sun-bleached tat connecting them in the usual baffling series of knots and twists. 

Not thinking twice, I clipped the maillon, threaded my rope and started to lower off, BANG suddenly I was hurtling downwards. Several painful bounces later I came to rest on the rope. A quick survey told me nothing was broken but there was blood leaking through my trouser leg around my knee and down my arms. Secondary survey ensured they were just bad grazes and shredded fingers, the rope had wrapped itself around my middle and ring finger as I fell. With the surge of adrenaline accompanying any of these incidents I told George I would just downclimb the rest and take out my gear as I went.

Back at the belay we had the usual chat, Matt: “Let’s keep going” George: “no you’re in bad shape, that would be daft” Matt: “ yeah right enough, I’m starting to get sore”. As we stood at the belay however I felt a disconcerting warmth spreading down the back of my legs, ignoring it we abseiled off and walked back to pack up the bivi gear in hope of making it back to the last lift by 6pm.

Running back to the Midi we arrived at 6:30pm. Meeting one of the staff at the entrance he took no time informing us that we couldn’t sleep inside or in the entrance which would be the usual thing to do in winter. Instead we should walk back down the arete to the glacier and stay there. Even in a fully functioning state this would have been an unappealing proposal. We decided to ignore him and got our bivi kit out where we were. By this point I decided I could no longer ignore the pressing issue, I needed the toilet desperately and there was an uncomfortable warm damp feeling that wasn’t normal.

I limped to edge of the platform where guides prepare their clients to go down the midi arete (exposed but not difficult) and started the process. My go to in the mountains is to use snow instead of toilet paper, its cleansing and doesn’t require leaving something that wasn’t already there. In this case I was mid wipe as the door opened again. Fearing I would ruin our chances of getting into the warmth by taking a shit on their doorstep, I hurriedly lobbed the snow over the railing, not before glancing down to see the snow thoroughly stained dark red. “Fuck, there’s blood, shit, shit … and blood !”  Rapidly kicking bits off the edge and pulling my trousers up in time paid off as we were allowed graciously to sleep inside on the benches. As it turns out there was a female member of staff who took pity on us and convinced her counterpart that there was no benefit of us sleeping 3 feet from the warmth.

The overwhelming ache from all my limbs come the morning was nothing compared to the concern I had about the blood coming from somewhere near my asshole. As soon as they unlocked the toilets, I raced in to confirm my suspicions, after George had point blank refused to take a look for me the night before.                                                                                                  Seeing the same deep red appearing on toilet paper, made me feel physically sick. Blood was not supposed to come from there, ever !

Back in Cham I had no other choice but to try to ignore this issue for the coming days and hope it healed on its own accord.  I imagined trying to explain to a French doctor how I had torn this very most intimate area and assure them in my non-existent French that it was not sex related.

Thankfully, feigning ignorance actually worked eventually, after 2 weeks the bleeding stopped and another week later I had no more pain !  Now as embarrassingly horrible as this is, it didn’t stop George introducing me for the next few weeks, as the guy who ripped his asshole. On this occasion, the pleasure was not worth the pain!                                                          

Learning points:

 - Don’t  blindly trust sun bleached tat 

-There are some things even a good climbing partner won’t help you with.



There were other less notable missions and experiences but hopefully this is might help get you psyched for a Corona-less summer, your next climbing mission or Sexcapade !

Finally, I have skated over many of the details about the climbing in each of these routes. If you want any more information about them or just to tell me how shit my writing is comment or email me at matthew@onthisrock.co.uk 








Comments

Popular Posts